As I expected, the conspiracy theories are flying across social media during this COVID-19 crisis. Some are clearly foolish, but others are catching people out and fuelling panic and fear. One of the most prominent conspiracy theories is the relationship between COVID-19 and the 5G cell phone network. This ‘prophetic warning’ is being passed via a long WhatsApp voice message spoken by a well-educated sounding English person who claims to ‘operate in the prophetic’ and who ‘once owned a telecommunications company’. The gist of his message is:
- There is a global corporate plot to reduce the world’s population (to such a sinister extent that it makes Thanos look like a nice guy).
- Google, Amazon and others, like Bill Gates, are mentioned as those using the 5G network (which was first rolled out in Wuhan, China) to emit powerful radiation that is causing “cell poisoning” which results in virus like symptoms causing eventual death. This is why the countries with the most 5G networks are suffering the most cases (China, Italy, UK, USA). He also claims that the 1918 Spanish Flu virus was caused by radio waves as were other historic outbreaks.
- The government roll out of COVID-19 testing stations is being used as a cover to actually infect people coming for testing so that the claim of a viral epidemic can be substantiated.
- When the vaccine is eventually introduced it will be a false vaccine that actually puts ‘markers’ in your blood system that attract more 5G radiation to you! (A clear ‘anti-vaccine’ stance is made.)
- Churches are being shut down because it means we cannot gather together for worship which ‘reduces our frequency’ and our spiritual power to counteract the evil forces at work in the world.
- There is no medical or scientific support for the 5G network being any more dangerous or damaging than 4G or any other radio network (there are ongoing debates about radiation waves from cell phone towers and their possible links to cancer, but the American Cancer Association considers it very low risk). I have been in contact with a senior Christian physician who assures me that, from a medical point of view, any claims of a link to 5G and the COVID-19 virus are ludicrous.
- The 5G network was not rolled out in Wuhan , but actually in South Korea and parts of the USA. The virus is not just spreading in countries with the 5G network. Iran, for example, has no 5G and has a high infection rate. (Its ironic that the conspiracy theory itself is spreading like a virus across global 5G networks!)
- There is no evidence for a vaccine conspiracy and medical research has shown again and again how beneficial vaccines have been (particularly in Africa) in helping to reduce mortality rate.
- A full list of false conspiracy theories and their origins is on Wikipedia.